Jackie Meyer, Founder of Meyer Tax Consulting, discovered she made 35% more revenue after adding tax planning services AND after cutting 60% of her clients. Unbelievable! You'll hear everything today in this 36-minute interview. On this episode of the Growing Your Firm Podcast, David Cristello and Jackie Meyer unpack:
- How to prove your ROI to your accounting clients
- The power of "urgency planning packages" to save you stress and time with client emails
- How to add 35% more revenue with tax planning services
- Meyer Tax Preparation & Accounting
- Chuck Bauer - business coach
- Accounting Biz Brokers (ask for Kathy Brent)
- Email Jackie herself (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- [BONUS]: New concierge service offered by Jackie Meyer and Chuck Bauer. Free 15 minute call here.
Proving Your ROI To Clients Immediately:Jackie Meyer, Founder of Meyer Tax Consulting, is one of the youngest female CPA firm owners in North Texas. Now, 7 years later, she's made a massive shift in her business. See, when Jackie first hung out her shingle, she welcomed every small business owner onto her client list. Any 1040 that needed doing, Jackie took over in the Southlake, TX region. As you can imagine, this got overwhelming fast. Multiple, low-paying clients calling and email at all times of day & night. Not to mention, Jackie started a family of her own. She had the American Dream of an up-and-coming business plus a beautiful family. It didn't feel like that at the time. Not until 2016 did she realize where she should focus her attention. Jackie sat down with her business coach, Chuck Bauer, saying "I'm frustrated." Jackie was juggling everything at once. Bauer calmly asked: "Who do you love working with as a client? What do you love doing with them?" Just like that, a light bulb turned on in her brain. She knew all along who her favorite (and well-paying) clients were. She knew it was local executives, CEOs, and upper management folks who needed help. This was an easy choice for her because of these executives:
- Highly valued her services (they love and follow their accountants to the ends of the earth)
- Have a nice sized cashflow so not to push back on fees
- Plus, they are smart --- Jackie learned from them as they learned from her
The Power of "Urgency Planning" With Clients:Another struggle Jackie had with clients was their time-suck. The problem most accountants have is an expectation problem. E.G. A client sends you an IRS notice they got. The client sees it as "urgent", you don't as you see these notices all the time. Client wants immediate answer. On the flip side, you need to finish their tax returns, so you request documents. Client doesn't see it as urgent and sits on the email. That's why urgency planning is paramount to get your life back. Here's how Jackie pulls it off:
- Whenever you send an email, start with either a: E = EMERGENCY (answer asap), U = URGENT (answer in next 24-48 hours), NU = NOT URGENT (answer whenever)
- Clients now know how to filter their emails from you. You do as well.
- Whenever a client doesn't send you an email with one of these 'codes,' kindly remind them and get back on track.
DAVID'S TIP: Give your customers the words they need to respond to you. Starbucks names their coffee sizes, e.g. 'vente,' You must do the same with your clients so you're both on the same page.Jackie received ZERO complaints about switching to this system. In fact, many clients now appreciated it. If a client didn't embrace the change, Jackie made the decision whether it was worth keeping the client. This time management strategy allowed her really to expand her tax planning services.