- The importance of having the right tech set up in your firm
- How to think about innovation in your firm
- Steps to get your team to buy-in to your ideas and to new technology
- Trent McLaren
- Linkedin - Trent McLaren
- Twitter - Trent McLaren
- Facebook - Trent McLaren
- 5 Tools to Improve Your Accounting Firm
- Finding the Right Software for Accountants (interview)
“You should be looking ahead to the next 18 months and
what might change in the accounting world.”
- Trent McLarenBy 2025, Trent estimates that over 5,000,000 jobs will be replaced by tech. Yes, taking the time to implement new technology takes time and effort. The point is: To remove redundancy and save your team members time they don’t need to spend. Accounting firms are beginning to expand globally. Meaning, they aren’t just working with local clients in person. Many are taking on virtual clients across the world. For you, now, think about:
- Where are team members having to “copy and paste” things?
- Are you having to import and export into Excel and other programs?
- Where are you having to make manual entries and calculations?
“When you think about innovation, do it from the
perspective of the customer.”Where are the headaches and time-wasting tasks? You want to approach it this way so you’re thinking of actual solutions to problems, and not just “extras.” Your “customer” during this process could actually be your employees. Where are these processes they hate? Are there bottlenecks in the same places again and again?Where are the problems? Where do things take too long to get done?Innovation isn’t just about ‘new technology.’ It’s actually simply doing things different than you used to. Trying a new process. Trying a new tool.Approaching innovation:
- Sit down with your team and walk in their shoes (or your client’s shoes)
- Write down every tiny problem that happens. Every frustration or things that many regularly complain about
- Now, throw out the editing board (not literally). But, begin brainstorming ideas on how to solve the problems. NOTHING IS OFF LIMITS. Come up with crazy ideas on how something might get fixed