Chapter 5 might be the most requested chapter we included in the book. It's all about how to get referrals and attracting the right referrals to your accounting firm. If you're just joining us, we're going front-to-back celebrating the audio release of our best-selling book, Double Your Accounting Firm. To refresh, here are the first three chapters: Chapter 1: Increasing Workflow Efficiency and Staff CapacityChapter 2: Solving the Pricing Problems in Your FirmChapter 3: Driving Growth in Your FirmChapter 4: Your Sales Appointment from Start to Close Referrals may be your sole source of new clients at the moment. That's okay. The question is whether they are the right clients for your firm. In this audiobook chapter, you will discover:
- How to get quality referrals that you actually want
- Steps to nurture your clients so they want to refer you
- Actual scripts to have the referrals flood in
- 2 simple techniques to get more referrals
- How to build a referral-based firm (interview)
- How to ask a client for referrals without feeling uncomfortable
Your Unique Selling Proposition Gets The Right Clients:Referrals are a nice and welcome surprise. Referrals are proven to require less "sales-y" approaches. Plus, they are faster to pull out their wallets. There are, however, two approaches to referrals. You could be passive or active. Passive = "we get who we get" Active = "we tell our clients who we want" It all starts with your Unique Selling Proposition (USP). Think about what value you bring to the marketplace. Be specific. "We do tax returns" is general. You must have a target market in mind so you can craft the right message. Your market is the type of industry/service you wish to be an expert in. You might want to be the "go-to for construction companies." Your message highlights the results you bring to clients. "We help 6-7 figure construction companies automate their bank finances, so they can increase cash flow." That's a USP. If you're unsure what your USP is, just ask your clients! Questions you can ask them:
- What keeps you coming back every year?
- What do you enjoy most about working with us?
- What trouble spots have you found?
- How does your relationship with us compare to other firms?
Nurturing Your Clients to Prepare for Referrals:The start of getting referrals begins with how you treat those who will refer...your clients. Clients don't just keep coming back for your service. With something as intimate as their finances, they want a firm that connects with them. The way to do that is starting every day with the mindset of "How can I provide value to a client today?" That means going above and beyond your call of duty. Here's how to do it in 5 steps:
- Do something before a client requests it
- Make a special deliverable for them. Maybe it's a piece of content
- Provide something that makes a difference in their personal or professional life
- Do something special that's pro bono for them
- Duplicate across clients
- Invite them out to dinner one-on-one
- Send them a webinar invite
- Bring them along for a conference
- Plan a fun event
- Ask their opinion
- Follow and interact with them on social media